Learning through computing at Greenleas
COMPUTING STATEMENT OF INTENT
At Greenleas, we prepare our learners for their future by giving them the opportunities to gain knowledge and develop skills that will equip them for an ever-changing digital world. Knowledge and understanding of Computing, and technology in general, is of increasing importance for children’s future both at home and for employment. We are preparing children by giving them the skills to prepare for jobs that do not yet exist. We believe that technology can provide: enhanced collaborative learning opportunities; better engagement of pupils; easier access to rich content; support conceptual understanding of new ideas and can support the needs of all our pupils. Technology is everywhere and will play a crucial part in our students' lives. Therefore, we want to model and educate our pupils on how to use technology positively, responsibly, and safely. We want our pupils to understand that there is always a choice with using technology and as a school we utilise technology to model positive use. We recognise that the best prevention for a lot of issues we currently see with technology, and specifically social media, is through education. Our Computing curriculum focuses on a progression of skills in digital literacy, computer science, information technology and online safety to ensure that children become confident and competent in safely using and understanding technology. These areas are continually revisited through a range of learning opportunities during children’s time in school to ensure the learning is embedded and skills are successfully developed. Our intention is that Computing also supports children’s creativity and cross-curricular learning to engage children and enrich their experiences in school.
- Provide an exciting, rich, relevant and challenging Computing curriculum for all pupils.
- Teach pupils to become responsible, respectful and competent users of data, information and communication technology.
- Provide technology solutions for forging better home and school links.
- Enthuse and equip children with the capability to use technology throughout their lives.
- Teach pupils to understand the importance of governance and legislation regarding how information is used, stored, created, retrieved, shared and manipulated.
- Utilise computational thinking beyond the Computing curriculum.
- Give children access to a variety of high-quality hardware, software and unplugged resources.
- Equip pupils with skills, strategies and knowledge that will enable them to reap the benefits of the online world, whilst being able to minimise risk to themselves or others.
- Exceed the minimum government recommended/statutory guidance for programmes of study for Computing and other related legislative guidance (online safety).
- Instil critical thinking, reflective learning and a ‘can do’ attitude for all our pupils, particularly when engaging with technology and its associated resources.
Use technology imaginatively and creatively to inspire and engage all pupils, as well as using it to be more efficient in the tasks associated with running an effective school.
Safeguarding – Online Safety
Online safety is of the highest importance at Greenleas Primary School. We ensure that children and staff understanding how to keep themselves safe when navigating the online world. These are met through the following:
- A relevant up-to-date online safety curriculum which is progressive from Early Years to the end of Year 6.
- Through our home/school links and communication channels, parents are kept up to date with relevant online safety matters, policies and agreements. They know who to contact at school if they have concerns.
- Policies which stipulate how we keep confidential information secure.
- A curriculum that is threaded throughout other curriculums and embedded in the day-to-day lives of our pupils.
- Acceptable Use Policies which are signed.
- Training for staff which is relevant to their needs and ultimately positively impacts on the pupils.
- Incidents that take place online are dealt with appropriately and swiftly.
- Filtering and monitoring systems for all our online access.